Location: 2850 Compañía de Jesús
Preservation Status: None
El inmueble ubicado en Compañía de Jesús 2784, en la comuna de Santiago, fue construido en el año 1900 con destino habitacional y está construida de adobe.
The building is located at 2784 Compañía de Jesús, in the commune of Santiago. It was built in 1900 as a housing unit. Adobe was employed in its construction.
The original building surface was 340 square meters, on a plot of 570 square meters.
Informal sources indicate that after the coup in 1973, many residents of the area left their homes, that were acquired by the government. Many houses were probably abandoned, and many others went on auction.
In the 1990s, the process for recovering the local population implemented by the then-Mayor Jaime Ravinet failed to modify the non-residential structure imposed in the Pinochet era. Consequently the housing space abandoned in the 1970s remained unrestored.
Jaime Ravinet confirmed the selling of abandoned housing spaces through municipal policy, and so began the construction of the first buildings in the old part of the city of Santiago.
Rabinet’s policy, both Yungay and Brasil District accelerated the decline of the number of residents, and as occured during the Pinochet dictatorship, the population moved to the “future splendor” of new promoted communities such as Florida and Maipu. Thus, like the western sector of Santiago, the area began to disassociate itself from the social conception of its origins, going through a process of depoliticization and non-participation for almost twenty years.
Today, both Yungay District and Brasil District contain abandoned property. These properties have been subleased and due to the growth of the district, many are leased informally, on a tenement system that clusters numerous families in the same dwelling.
In spite of this situation, today these districts have slowly begun to be repopulated and many heritage properties are now under renovation. However, the lack of a comprehensive communal process among the inhabitants is still distinctive.