Location: 645 Paseo Lourdes, between San Pablo and Santo Domingo
Preservation Status: None
La Basílica de Lourdes was created to venerate the Lourdes Virgin thanks to the devotion of the priest Jacinto Arriagada. A plot of land next to Quinta Normal Park was donated by Alejandro Vigouroux for its construction. In 1876 the priest convinces the ecclesiastical authority of Santiago to sign a decree authorizing the construction of a temple and an exact replica of the grotto of Massabielle in France.
The construction involved two processes that spanned from the 1880s to 1893, and from 1929 to 1958, the year when construction was completed.
The Basílica de Nuestra Señora de Lourdes is a church belonging to the Roman Apostolic Catholic religion dedicated to the Virgin Mary.
The richness of this construction lies in the architecture of its monumental projection – a dome 70 meters high and a side tower that are visible from different distances within the community that the basilica inhabits. It has a central nave and two side naves. This expansion began in 1929, with the support of the architects Andrés Garafulic and Eduardo Costabal, bestowing Byzantine elements through the incorporation of mosaics and panthographic or all-powerful attributes. It also features a Gothic style in its tall sculptures in the central nave, and semi-circular windows and vaults.
One of the main highlights of the temple is the work of Lily Garafulic located at a height of 3.50 mts. in the dome, representing 16 prophets.
The surrounding area of the basilica is integrated by the Ursus and Albin Trotter factories, Santa Ana Polytechnic College, the Religious Sisters of Santa Ana Congregation and the Barros Arana National Boarding School.