The Artist: Ronald Kay (Chile)
Ronald Kay (1941) was baptized by Neptune when he crossed the Atlantic Ocean at the Equator in 1947, at the age of six. He translated The Origin of the Work of Art (1968). Beuys washed his feet in Basel (1972). He is listed by Piero Montebruno as the missing link of Chilean poetry. Raul Bruna has been his friend since 1947, when they happened to meet walking down a street by chance. In The Queen’s Tent (1968) he danced the Cueca with Clarisa Sandoval. He is Sho-Dan at the Hombu-Doyo in Tokyo and Tudi in the Wu family in Shanghai. Body & Soul is among his obsessions. In 1992 he gave back to the Casa das Minas of São Luiz of Maranhão the medallion that legitimized Hubert Fichte in front of the Court of Dahomey. According to the Mayan calendar, he was born as “blue magnetic monkey”. His next book: The Logic of Vertigo.
The Artwork: Counterpoint: Between Artaud and Capac Cocha
Audiovisual installation that combines two videos The Artaud Tentative (La Tentativa Artaud) from 2008 with the video Capac Cocha, new realization that explores the Inca ritual that bears the same name.
The artwork will be launched in Espacios Revelados.
The pictures shared in the photo gallery are from past pieces from the artist.
The Place: ARCIS University
Address: 59 Libertad, Santiago.
Type of Protection: None
Arcis University owns the Liberty Campus located in the historic quarter of Santiago in the vicinity of what was the Libertad Foundry. The Libertad Foundry began operations in 1877, under the ownership of Baeuerle and Cia., Francisco Küpfer König and Roberto Strickler. The latter, Swiss immigrants and mechanical engineers by profession, would take control of the foundry,after the death of Bäuerle promoting new industrial techniques that were being developed in Europe in order to encourage the nascent manufacturing industry. One of the goals was to promote local development and to decrease the dependence of the country on international markets.
The foundry, located at 54 Libertad Street, was situated in the emblematic Yungay District, an área that was bordered to the east by Negrete Street, to the west by Matucana Avenue, to the north by St. Paul Street and to the south by la Alameda. This place had an urbanized character, housed families of different social groups and was connected with the city port of Valparaiso through the extension of the road from San Pablo.